Staff Spotlight: Jennifer Dena, Disability Services / Student Life

Jennifer Dena, ACC Student Support Specialist

Hi!  My name is Jennifer Dena.

I have a pretty unique role at ACC. My official title is Student Support Specialist; I split my time between the Disability Services office (65%) and the Student Life office (35%). In Disability Services, I serve as a Specialist: determining students’ eligibility to receive support services, certifying that documentation of a disability is complete and appropriate, resolving conflicts that arise throughout the semester, acting as an advocate when needed, making referrals to appropriate services, and maintaining student records. In the Student Life office: I coordinate New Student Orientation for incoming students and their families; assist in the preparation of orientation events and materials; follow up with incoming students through phone calls, e-mails and/or other communication methods; and oversee the creation and implementation of various activities and events offered through the Student Life office. It is a well-rounded position, which gives me a lot of variety, and an opportunity to work with lots of different people around campus.

If you are interested in receiving accommodation services through Disability Services, schedule an intake appointment with one of our specialists as soon as possible. We will discuss options with you and collaboratively determine your accommodation needs. Every student is different and what works for one student may not work for another, so in Disability Services, we make decisions on an individual case-by-case basis.

Our mission is to collaborate with members of the ACC campus community to assist in providing student support services to create a learning environment that promotes access and encourages success for all students.

To request accommodations, contact the Disability Services office to schedule an appointment, disability.services@arapahoe.edu or 303.797.5937. The time needed for implementation of services can vary based on the services requested.

Appointments can be scheduled at the Littleton Campus Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.  You can also schedule an appointment to meet with me at the Parker campus, Tuesdays from 2pm-4pm, or the Castle Rock campus, Wednesdays 3pm-5pm.

Want to know a little secret? We will be changing our department name from Disability Services to Student Access Services during the summer.

I look forward to meeting you soon!

by Jennifer Dena, ACC Student Support Specialist