ACC Parker Campus Community Spotlight: Jason Tempest

Jason Tempest, ACC Student

Jason Tempest, ACC Student

Each semester the ACC Parker Campus team invites faculty, staff and students to nominate students who they believe demonstrate outstanding academic, personal, professional, and/or community achievements.

Jason Tempest was selected as our Spring 2016 ACC Parker Campus Student Spotlight.  English instructor Ms. Laurie Wasmund nominated Jason and shared that he was a valued and trusted contributor in her class.  He regularly earned high marks on all his writing assignments.  But most impressively, was his willingness to approach difficult topics and boarded the conversation in the class in thoughtful and intellectual ways.  Jason’s keen sense of ethical integrity and well-developed social consciousness made us believe that he will effectively use the information he has gathered at ACC, and become a great mentor for others.

We invited Jason to share his journey and experience at ACC and our Parker Campus via a short interview.  We especially appreciated his candid and brilliant ideas and suggestions to any ACC students on how to survive and manage your college career at ACC.

How long have you attended classes at Arapahoe Community College?

I have been attending since the Fall of 2015.

How long have you taken classes at the ACC Parker Campus?

I was lucky enough to have all of my classes at the ACC Parker Campus during the Fall of 2015 and had to split half of them at the Littleton Campus for Spring of 2016.

What are you studying and why?

Here at ACC I’m working toward my AA with a designation in Psychology. This degree will help me move toward my goal of earning a Masters in Psychology. Once that is complete I can apply for a Licensed Practitioner Councilor (LPC). I look forward to owning my own practice and helping people with the use of therapeutic counseling.

How has ACC and/or the ACC Parker Campus helped you reach your personal and/or academic goals?

The friendly staff at ACC and particularly the Parker Campus have helped me in a variety of ways. Financial and Academic counseling have always been there to keep me on track. The staff have been there to help with day to day problems that arise. The wonderful teachers have given me much insight into organization, writing, editing, and psychology basics. I believe the connections I have made here will no doubt go beyond my academic stay here at ACC.

What advice would you give new students to help them succeed in the classroom and beyond?

A crucial piece of advice to any new student is to be organized. My weekly planner has been my best friend throughout this journey making sure I’m on track with readings, homework, and studying for exams. Do what works for you but find a system that keeps you organized and on track. You honestly get back what you put into your education. The more organized effort you put in your education the better the results will be. Understand that there are a wide range of resources available to you. The writing center, tutors at the Littleton campus, classmates, and the teachers themselves to name a few. Don’t be afraid to raise your hand and ask a question. Teachers are usually happy to answer them. The worst thing you can do is take back seat to your education. I felt that some students in my first math class here at ACC failed to ask critical questions about problems in class. This lead to low test scores and an overall lack of performance. I would advise every student to follow some basic guidelines. Show up every day like your degree depends on it. Take clear and detailed notes of material in class. Set aside time to study, read, and do homework. Creating a habit of scholastic achievement will tremendously help throughout your college career and transfer to life after college. For large assignments like papers and presentations create a timeline to stay on track with the assignment. Waiting until the last day to finish an assignment will create an underdeveloped paper or presentation. Sit near the front of the class and take charge in your in class lectures and discussions. Many times I have learned material by answering wrong in a class discussion. Finally, make sure to take a little bit of time for yourself. See friends, play games, get some sun, and take a short break every now and then. These activities can rejuvenate and empower you to continue with your studies. College doesn’t have to be all notes, lectures, tests, and papers. Meet those people around you and find some activities that help you grow.