Do you need help paying for college? Did you know that there in financial aid available from the government and from ACC that can help you with those college costs, such as: tuition and fees, books, supplies, and living expenses?
Your first step to getting funding for college is to apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Make sure you have this completed by March 1, 2018 to get priority on aid and scholarships!
If you aren’t sure what this is or how to apply, take advantage of our free FAFSA labs every Monday from 1-6pm at our Littleton campus. These are open to anyone (not just ACC students). Our experts will help walk you through the process of applying for financial aid and make it a little less intimidating.
You’ll need a few items to be able to complete it:
- Driver’s license number
- Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number
- Federal tax returns from 2016
- W-2s and any other records of money earned such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits
- Bank statements and records of investments such as stocks, bonds, 529 plans, and investment homes
- Records of untaxed income (workers compensation and disability benefits)
- FSA ID if you have already created one
- If you are a dependent, you’ll need your parents’ information.
There a several different types of aid you could be awarded:
- Grants – this includes both federal and state grants. These are gifts and do not need to be repaid.
- Scholarships – this type of aid comes from donors and companies hoping to help you achieve your goals. Scholarships don’t have to be repaid either! Apply for numerous ACC scholarships and private scholarships that you may qualify for. It takes some research, but it will be wealth worth the extra money to help you pay for school. ACC priority deadline for scholarships is March 1!
- Student Loans – loans can help you pay for college, but don’t forget they have to be paid back, plus interest.
- Work Study – work study gives you the chance to work on-campus for up to 20 hours a week. Build your resume and earn money for school at the same time.
- Veteran’s Benefits – ACC is a certified Military Friendly School and will work with you to get the benefits you have earned from your time in the military.
Why Should You Apply for Financial Aid?
While not everyone qualifies for grant aid, many people do receive an award of some kind to help them pay for their college expenses. Whether you think you will qualify or not, it is a great idea to spend the hour or less it takes to complete your FAFSA.
Completing your FAFSA is also the first step to many scholarship applications. Many scholarships require a FAFSA. This includes many ACC scholarships. Don’t worry, even if you don’t qualify for grant aid, you may still qualify for scholarships. There is a wide variety of options available based on need, area of interest, ability, past school performance, essay-writing and more. Don’t count yourself out before you try.
You can apply for many of our ACC scholarships with just one application. Some may require additional information or essays, but getting started is easy with our online application. In general, you will only receive one scholarship from our ACC scholarships, so review them thoroughly and see what might be right for you. And if you have questions, talk to our Financial Aid Office and they can help you through the process.
That being said, it is important for you to research what other scholarships are out there. We offer a list of private scholarships as well as reputable resources for finding more that may better suit your situation and offer you additional funding.
Do not forget to take advantage of the Essay Writing Workshop on February 19 and 20 in the Library Learning Commons on the Littleton Campus.
Ready to Move Mountains?
Complete your FAFSA and ACC scholarship application by March 1! If you get overwhelmed or confused, our Financial Aid Advisors are here to help you! Contact them at 303.797.5661, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by M2330 at the ACC Littleton campus. Get the most money for your education by turning everything in for the priority deadline. You can do this and we’re here to help!